Friday 27 May 2011

'Are you looking at me confused, just because I like medical anthropology?'

Exams have now started and I am trying my best to revise at all times, but I do get too stressed sometimes to the extent that I can't even revise. Normally, when I am very stressed I get ready, put my flip flips on, my sunglasses on, earphones in, music on.. and then just walk around the beach. Sometimes I go out overdressed, because I really like to be overdressed xD so I will be walking in the middle of the beach with trousers and a shirt and people around me would be sunbathing and so they seem confused with my choice of clothing for the occasion.

However, I frequently get confused looks while I am walking around. I get them from people that know me and from strangers and my theory is that people that know me get confused just because I am interest in 'not very well know' things ie medical anthropology, graphic design... and with strangers I think it is because my fashion is not very Spanish-like so they find it weird for me to dress they way I do.

At the beginning, I always got really annoyed when my friends just didn't understand why I was so interested in graphic design, for example, because they just don't know what the point of graphic design is and they seem to never understand that while some people like painting, I do a similar thing but on a computer and using a piece of software. As I have said, medical anthropology also causes struggles between the people around me and they always tell me that if I like medical anthropology that much then I should go and study it at uni instead of reading medicine.

About this I have two points to make:
1.In the UK not many universities offer a programme of only Medical Anthropology, I believe it is only UCL and Durham that have a course that fits into this branch of Anthropology.
2. What I am interested is in the connection between medicine and medical anthropology. I am really interested in international health, in epidemiology, the work the WHO does etc. but does that not mean that I would not like to work as a doctor in a hospital. I believe both have many things in common and so they can both be done.

Okay, so aside from that unexpected rant my driving skills seem to have improve a bit even though yesterday I crashed slightly against a wall and the car got a big scratch, I was going really slowly so it was not anything major.

I have a chemistry tutor, simply because my chemistry teacher in school is useless and always he does is tell me that there is no point in me even revising chemistry because I will never get the A grade I need. Thanks for that :D

All I have been doing lately has been revision, watching tv, (loved to Birmingham and the Bullring in the Apprentice!!) and walking, a lot of walking.

I don't have any other exams until the 6th June and my graduation rehearsal is next Wednesday, does this mean that I need to start getting the speech ready?! It's so sad that I am leaving my school this summer and I am not coming back after more than 5 years. I think I will really miss all my colleagues and teachers and just the atmosphere in general, but it is something that everyone goes through so I will be okay.

I still have a lack of summer plans (any suggestions?). I have applied for some jobs but they never got back to me but I am sure I will be tutoring English which is something, at least.

Also, last weekend we had elections and I voted for the first time :D

I thinking that is all for now, this could be my longest post ever!

Hope exams are going well,
M

No comments:

Post a Comment